Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Find Yourself

 


Find Yourself

This exercise is focused on building insight and self-awareness by first identifying where you often find yourself nowadays in certain situations. Then to follow, the second part of this activity involves some deeper questions about the process of “finding yourself”

 

Part 1 - Discuss the following by giving your best answer as to where you most often find yourself in the various situations below. There are two ways that this can be done:

 

1.   Simple version: Just discuss where you find yourself today

 

2.   Deeper version for substance use and mental health groups: Identify and compare where you used to find yourself in your PAST (when things were not going as well) as compared to where you find yourself TODAY (hopefully making positive changes in some form of recovery)

 

Where do you usually find yourself?...


At a social gathering? (Some examples provided below)

·        I’m usually the life of the party, socializing and making jokes

·        I am on the dance floor most of the night

·        I am more reserved usually in a smaller more intimate conversation

·        I tend to be shy and wait for others to come to me


After an argument with someone you care about.

 

On weekends

 

After midnight

 

When shopping

 

When you want entertainment or just to get your mind off things

 

When you are feeling down (sad or depressed)

 

When you feel like you are struggling or overwhelmed with life

 

When you just need a break in the middle of a busy day

 

When you want to be alone

 

When you want to relax

 

When you have some money to spend

 

When you’re lonely


When you are energized and excited

 

When you are struggling with triggers or cravings

 

When you have free time to do whatever you want to do

 

When you feel inspired or creative

 

When you want to celebrate or treat yourself

 

When you are feeling caring or generous

 

When you want to do something meaningful or positive

 

Ø If there is time, come up with some of your own and discuss them as a group

 

_____________________



Part 2 – Searching Deeper to Find Yourself

The following questions have don’t have definite right or wrong answers but rather these questions are about identifying and sharing more about who you really are today.

 

What strengths and other positive qualities do I know that I have and can use to make progress?

 

What do I stand for today? (What is meaningful?)

 

What are some positive values that inspire and motivate me to move forward in a positive direction?

 

Who and what helps me to overcome obstacles and push through the tough times in life?

 

What am I doing right today? (Including things you have done wrong in the past that you no longer do)

 

What are some life areas where I can clearly see progress and growth?

 

What helps me know that I am preparing and readying myself for a brighter future?

 

What skills, supports and other practices do I have that help me cope and survive each day?

 

What helps me feel a sense of meaning and purpose in life?

 

What good do I bring to this world (or if you are unsure, then what are you working on or striving for?)


FOR A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS CLICK HERE



 

No comments:

Post a Comment