Friday, October 21, 2022

CBT and Me- Part 1: Starting with Thinking

 


CBT For Me – Part 1: Starting with Thinking

VIDEO INTRO: https://youtu.be/HLBOpgHBqoc

Introduction: One thing that everyone should get out of a substance use or mental health program is a basic understanding of Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT). CBT is one of the easiest to understand ways to change behaviors, for anyone who is motivated to make those changes. This worksheet focuses on starting a discussion on Thinking, Feelings and Behaviors, the core elements of CBT with emphasis on Thinking first

 

As an icebreaker, try the following exercise as a group. On the next page are some common thoughts, feelings and behaviors that may be associated with substance use and mental health. Of course, there are many more than this, but this list is enough to start a discussion and to start the group talking about thoughts, feelings and behaviors. Notice that some of the thoughts, feelings and behaviors are more positive and others not so positive.

 

Directions: Everyone in the group should get a copy of the list. Take turns and when it’s your turn simply pick a Thought, Feeling, or Behavior on the list that stands out to you and tell a brief story related to it. If you are up to the challenge, you can pick two items from the list: a thought and a feeling or try to use all three: a thought, a feeling and a behavior for your story. It’s up to you


Examples


Group member 1 picks the Thought: “It could be worse” and tells a story: “When I was in detox for heroin last month I honestly felt like I was going to die because I was so sick, but I kept remembering that I was telling myself at the time: It could be worseI could be in jail or dead right now”

 

Group member 2 feels up to the challenge and picks two items: a Thought – “I’ve got skills and talents” and a Feeling “Blessed” and tells the story: “I nearly lost everything because of my substance use and mental health issues until I got help. Now I am feeling so blessed because I’ve got skills and talents doing carpentry and I have been able to get a business started up again since I have been in recovery.

 

Group member 3 goes for a combination of all three: Thoughts, Feelings and Behaviors from the list and tells the story: “I used to struggle for years with negative thoughts like I’m not good enough which left me feeling discouraged, however now that I am working on things, I have learned to choose the behavior of using my support system to help me work through these negative feelings when they come up.


Thoughts

Feelings

Behaviors

I quit

I’m the greatest

I’m not good enough

I’ve got this

No one cares

I deserve better

I’ll figure it out

He/She/They are out to get me

I’m not going to quit

I can’t do it

Everyone else has it better

Things are getting better

I’ll never get there

I have a good shot at this

I have no idea

It’s starting to work

I am a fake and a phony

I’m steadily improving

This just isn’t fair

I’m making the best of it

I’m fooling everyone

I’ll survive

I’m not strong enough

I’ll get through this

I don’t measure up

I have a lot to offer

The deck is stacked against me

I’ve got skills and talents

I can’t adapt to this

I’m flexible and clever

I’m not smart enough

I can master this with time

I’m going to fail

I’ll win if I stay in the game

It’s never going to happen

I can see it in my future

I’m about to break down

I’m resilient and will endure

I can’t do this honestly

I can face the truth today

This is too much for me

I have what it takes

I can’t handle any more

It could be worse

Angry

Happy

Sad

Excited

Disappointed

Grateful

Calm

Anxious

Bored

Amused

Distracted

Focused

Disgusted

Relieved

Afraid

Courageous

Bitter

Satisfied

Resentful

Appreciative

Horrified

Proud

Stuck

Motivated

Apathetic

Enthusiastic

Driven

Burned Out

Blessed

Stressed

Content

Aggravated

Hopeful

Desperate

Confident

Discouraged

Beautiful

Ugly

Joyful

Troubled

Comfortable

Upset

Pessimistic

Optimistic

 

Aggression (Verbal)

Reach out for help

Run away

Use support system

Pretend everything is fine

Practice and learn to improve

Aggression (Physical- Fight)

Compromise to find peace

Stay stuck in situation

Explore new options

Repeat the cycle

Keep on trying

Isolate

Seek professional help

Find a way out

Return to bad situation

Recover

Relapse

Use coping skills

Sulk and complain

Handle my business

Sit back and wait

Take accountability

Blame others

Accept and move forward

Neglect responsibility

Try something new

Avoid change

Stand up for self

Come up with excuses

Set new goals

Give up

Adjust priorities

Stay lost

Remain grounded

Strategize new plans

Scheme, cheat or lie

Do some self-searching

Shut down

Find a way to make peace

Take it out on someone else

Patiently endure

Suffer in silence

Rise to the occasion

 


Change your thinking, change your life

There are several factors that need to be in place in order to change our thinking in a positive way. Discuss each one below and answer the questions:

 

Self-Awareness – Learning to look inward into our own mind to examine and openly define our own thoughts is a skill that can be learned but takes practice. This comes easier to some people than to others, but anyone can develop this skill. How about you, do you feel ready to look deeper into your own thinking?

 

Self-HonestyIt can be a challenge to admit to ourselves that we are having negative thoughts, especially fearful or embarrassing thoughts. For example, it can be difficult for some people to openly admit things out loud that may make them seem vulnerable. Are you able to get honest about your own thoughts even the difficult to admit or accept ones?

 

CourageSometimes we may be afraid to face our thoughts. Facing thoughts can mean facing reality and accepting the need to change. Are you prepared to face and admit some of your fears and insecurities?

 

Break the HabitNegative thinking can become habitual. Complaining about life, looking at the dark side of things, being pessimistic or self-defeating can all become “comfortable” when it becomes a regular habit. If you have the habit of looking at things in a negative way, are you prepared to change?

 

Open Mindedness- We have all met someone who ignores facts and experiences in favor of stubbornly holding on to a certain way of thinking. Instead, life is about learning and growing which requires looking at different perspectives and adapting our thinking with new information and experiences. Are you working on being open minded about new information instead of stubbornly holding on to old opinions?

 

Ability to “Reframe”When we identify a negative or harmful thought, it is essential to be able to reframe those negative thoughts in a more positive and realistic way. An example would be reframing the negative thought ‘I’m not good enough” to something like “I am still a work in progress, but I am getting better with time” Do I need to learn more about or practice using cognitive reframing?

 

Help for More Serious Mental Health IssueProfessional help may be needed when disorders like Major Depressive Disorder or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder are present because negative thinking can be symptomatic of these and other mental health disorders. This does not mean that you cannot work on changing thinking but sometimes some more outside help is needed in therapy or with a psychiatrist/APN. Talk to your counselor more about this if you feel that you need more help with negative thinking


CLICK FOR PRINTABLE VERSION



No comments:

Post a Comment