Friday, March 16, 2018

Forgive, Live and Love

Forgiveness:

When you feel you need it and cannot get it the pain can be so great.

But when you owe it and don't want to give it away, the struggle can be even more damaging



Forgiveness is a topic that will never go away, not in this world. In substance use treatment the topic of forgiveness is guaranteed to come up sooner or later. This is especially true after you start digging deeper into the hurt, trauma, resentment and pain that often can help start or sustain an addiction in many lives.
Forgiveness by itself is not the answer but it certainly can be a huge part of the equation. Resentment, which is the polar opposite of forgiveness, is one of the ugliest human emotions that serves no positive purpose. To let go of and release resentment out of the proverbial heart can be likened cutting out the cancer from one’s afflicted flesh. All of this can be easier said, than done as forgiveness does not always come easy. Forgiveness can be challenging especially when the pain that was experienced cuts very deep, but forgiveness is certainly worth it. Resentment is pain, whereas forgiveness is healing.

In order to start too open up personally about this important topic please discuss the following statements which are presented in a “True or False” format. (Give your best answers based on your personal thoughts, insight, feelings and experiences)

Make your best estimate of yourself by answering the following statements: True or False – Then explain why:
Forgiveness comes easy to me most of the time…
I can think of someone or something that I resent in my life right now…
Overall, for the most part I am a pretty loving person…
There are some good people in my life who have forgiven me…
I can be vengeful or vindictive…
I want people to suffer for what they’ve done to me…
I would rather just let it go when I feel myself holding on to anger for too long…
I am proud to say that I do have any enemies…
I sometimes obsess over my feelings when someone disappoints me…
I am willing to make personal sacrifices to keep peace with others…
I often cannot let it slide when someone insults me even if it was an accident…
I find it hard to resist arguing with others who say things I find offensive or ignorant…
I find that overall I am pretty tolerant and accepting of others…
I can readily accept it and move on when someone apologizes…
It is easy for me to apologize when I am wrong…
I need to work on resentment…
I need to work on forgiveness…



No comments:

Post a Comment