Sunday, November 27, 2022

The Grind Part 15 – Don’t Go Down that Road

 

Don’t Go Down that Road – VIDEO INTRO: https://youtu.be/2IM1yYOGH5U


A huge, often self-induced obstacle that can slow us down when life is grinding along, is entering a self-destructive pattern or phase. This phenomenon of “going down bad a road” toward a self-destructive pattern is often unique to each person and can vary greatly. When we have insight into our own destructive habits and patterns and what fuels them, then we may have some idea of when we are starting to go down a bad road mentally, emotionally, or behaviorally (or any combination thereof) – To illustrate, consider an example.


Situation: Disappointment: We didn’t get the outcome that what we hoped for

Self-Destructive “Bad” Road to Travel:

Negative thinking “I didn’t get what I want because I am no good…”
 
Negative Feeling(s) – Discouragement, shame, self-doubt, insecurity

Unproductive or Self-Destructive Behaviors: Oversleeping, isolating, Misusing substances, etc.

 

Again, it helps immensely to know our own patterns (insight). Knowing what happens when go down a bad road is also helpful, as the eventual outcome may be depression, regret, consequences, etc. Once we truly know and understand our patterns and triggers, then we can begin to ask ourselves is: What can I do to prevent myself from going down a negative road?

The following questions below are for self-examination and planning on this topic. Discuss:


What is my “bad road” like in the following areas?

 

·       Mentally – What kind of negative thoughts may enter my mind?

 

·       Emotionally – What feelings might be difficult for me when I may be taking a turn for the worse (Shame, discouragement, depression, self-doubt, anger, resentment, etc.)

 

·       Behavioral – What habits, actions and decisions do I to need to look out for during these difficult times? (Addictions, avoidance of responsibility, acting out angrily, shutting down, etc.)



 

What are the warning signs that things may be going in a bad direction for me?

 

·       How can I see trouble coming before it’s too late?

 

·       Who can help me to see that I am going down a bad road?


 

What’s at the end of the bad road? – Where does it usually lead?

 

·       How do I end up feeling when I go down that road?

 

·       What are some consequences and outcomes of going down that road?

 

 

What can I do to divert myself from traveling down that bad road?

 

·       Thoughts – How can I change my thinking? What specifically can I tell myself that may help?

 

 

·       Coping skills – What skills do I know that get me back on the right track when I need it most?

 

 

·       Supports – Who can I turn to that will take the time to help me get back on a good course?

 

 

·       Alternatives – What else can I put my time and energy into to divert myself away from negativity?

 

 

·       Other – What else helps? (What helped in the past? – What might you be willing to try?)

 

 

Start! – If you are currently at risk of going down a bad road, what are you going to start doing ASAP:

 

1.

 

2.

 

3.

 

CLICK FOR PRINTABLE VERSION


OR FIND ON Takingtheescalator.com




No comments:

Post a Comment