Friday, October 7, 2022

Recovery Stories

 


Recovery Stories – VIDEO INTRODUCTION: https://youtu.be/LEM09cVI-zI

This is set up like an icebreaker, but it is not just a simple exercise to get people talking, it is much more. The specific goal of this exercise is to get the group sharing positive stories of recovery to build motivation and . In this case recovery can be related to substance use issues or mental health or both or any other life struggle someone may be working on.

Directions: Everyone in the group should get a copy of the list. Take turns and when it is your turn pick a topic and share a positive story based on that theme. The group should then guess your theme. Afterwards cross it off the list.


Before the next person goes, the person who told the story should answer this question:

 

What is one positive lesson learned from the experience you just shared?

 

Discuss this briefly then move on to the next person to pick a new theme and so on

 

When group is over save some time to discuss these closing questions and focus on a group takeaway.


Closing Questions

What are some recovery lessons that stood out to you personally?

 

After listening to everyone’s stories and sharing your own, what are some personal reasons for staying hopeful, positive and motivated about your progress going forward?

 

Takeaway: How are you going to move forward in a positive direction going forward? (Try to come up with at least one specific example of something you can do to improve your situation)


TOPIC LIST


Narrow escape: Almost relapsed but didn't

Triumph over challenge

I could have died

Resilience: Bouncing back from adversity

The struggle was worth it

Learning to cope better each day

One of my biggest rewards so far

A complete 180

Still a daily struggle but making progress

Kind of funny now but not at the time

Difficult, but glad I got it over with

My source of optimism and hope

The thing that pulled me through

I finally broke free…

Turned a negative to a positive

Saved by…

The keys to success

It’s the little things that help

I got it off my back this time

It took a while, but I finally learned

I went from confusion to commitment

Surprise – things worked out

Letting go made the difference

I finally surrendered

Motivated by love

What gave me courage

Sources of strength

Humor got me through it

Right Place Right Time

Worth the Effort

Grateful today

 CLICK FOR PRINTABLE VERSION



No comments:

Post a Comment