Tuesday, August 30, 2022

The Grind Part 12 -Before You're Rude, Subdue the Mood

 


When working our way through the grind of life, many of us can be subject to a bad mood every now and then. If you are one of those people who never is in a bad mood, then this may not be for you. However, if you are one of those people who occasionally goes to that dark place mentally, then this is for you. Sometimes moods can be triggered and sometimes mood swings come up unexpectedly. No matter what the reason may be, it is important to use our coping skills to escape the darkness. However, the main topic here is to focus on what NOT TO DO during a bad mood.

The simple rule is expressed in the picture: Don’t let your bad mood lead you to use bad words. In other words, it can be tempting to say mean, insensitive, blunt, or even hurtful or regrettable things when caught up in the middle of a bad mood. If the mood itself is dark enough, it may even feel justified to say the wrong thing to the wrong person. Even worse, when the mood is over, there can be huge amounts of regret later on over what was said. The sad thing is, that you cannot take it back. So, like the saying says “Don’t mix your bad words with your bad mood”


The following questions are for self-awareness building, thought and discussion on this topic


Mood Triggers – What can set you off and trigger a bad mood? Are there certain times of day or other circumstances where a bad mood is more likely for you?

Examples:

“I don’t wake up well and I know the first 20-30 minutes after I wake up there is an increased chance I will be in a mood”

"I get into bad moods when the weather is rainy, and I am stuck inside for too long"

"My mood goes to a bad place when work stress builds up for too many days in a row"



Mood Reminders – What are some “rules” and reminders that can help you do damage control when you are in a bad mood.

Examples:

"When I am in a bad mood, I will try not to answer phone calls or texts until I calm myself down. I don’t want to say something I will regret"

"When I am in a bad mood, I will try to stay away from people who might set me off, so I don’t tell someone off"

"When I am in a bad mood, I will pause any serious decision making until my mood has lifted"

 


Mood Escapes – What are some healthy ways to improve your bad mood? (Examples: Relaxation, exercise, walking, breathing, praying, laughing, reading, writing, playing an instrument, spending time with pets, hobbies, etc.?) – 

Come up with a few of your own that work for you





No comments:

Post a Comment