Thursday, May 19, 2022

Knowing What You Don't Know

 

Knowing What You Don’t Know


If you have heard this phrase hopefully you realize its importance. Just as it is important to have an accurate assessment of your own knowledge and skills, it is also important to realize areas where you are unsure and can use guidance, direction, or education.

Directions – Discuss each of the following parts below, one by one, by sharing personal stories and situations as appropriate as a group, discussing feedback as a group, then moving to the next part.


Note – This group can be useful to the counselor as a way to choose future groups based on the needs expressed in this group. Therefore, it can be helpful to take some notes about group areas of need


Part 1 - “I Got This” – Share with the group a life situation where you are proud to say that you now know what you are doing, and you can manage this life area effectively.

Example – “My life was a mess with Relationships for years but now that my head is clear since I have made some progress in treatment, I feel like I no longer get myself into hurtful and negative relationships anymore and I carefully choose my associates much better these days”

______

 

Part 2 – “Working on it” – Share about a life area where you believe that you have a “working knowledge” which is getting better with time and practice. You have not mastered this yet, but you are making progress.

Example – “I struggled with Relapse Prevention for a while, and it is still an area I need to focus on and learn more about, but I am happy that I am definitely doing a lot better than I was just weeks ago”

______

 

Part 3 - Winging it – Share about an area that you feel that you know barely enough to fake it for a while, but you definitely need to know more about in order to improve.

Example – “When it comes to Anxiety, I am taking it day by day, and trying new things little by little but I still struggle just about every day, and I need more help and support to master this issue”

______

List of ideas for topics:

(Just some suggestions, you can use your own ideas)

Relapse Prevention

Relationships

Managing Emotions

Dealing with crisis situations

Keeping a Positive Mindset (and Attitude)

Having Fun without Substances

Goal Setting

Making Effective Decisions

Coping with Anxiety

Coping with Depression

Anger Management

Stress Management

Forgiveness

Coping with Cravings

Quitting Smoking

Self-Esteem

Social Skills

Finding Happiness

Purpose and Meaning in Life

Staying Motivated

______

CLICK FOR PRINTABLE VERSION 


www.takingtheescalator.com


No comments:

Post a Comment