Monday, February 28, 2022

The Grind Part 7 - "I Don't Feel Like it Today"


So, you wake up and you don’t feel like doing what you know that you need to do. We have all been there, several times at least. If there is any hope at pushing past this, one of the first things to remember is the following thought: 

“Just because I don’t feel like doing this, 

does not mean that I should give up” 

Some days in the grind of life are just going to go like that and that’s just how it is. Obviously it is important to work on motivation every single day and be as proactive as possible to prevent these "I don't feel like it" days. But sometimes in spite of the best preparation and intentions, we just wake up without the motivation and the drive that we need. Or, this same phenomenon can happen at the end of a long day too, or really at any unexpected time. Since these kinds of days are inevitable for most of us, then ideally the best thing we can do is to have a plan to increase the possibility of pushing through and grinding forward - even when we don't feel like it,

For consideration - When you don't feel like doing what you know that you need to do, what coping skills and supports do you have prepared? - Before answering, consider some examples:

> Call or text a trusted friend who can help motivate you

> Go forward but go easy (if possible) - For example: walk instead of run

> Check your feelings - (Is it an unresolved emotion holding you back like fear, anxiety, guilt, etc.) - then talk to someone about it so you can work past it (if possible)

> Motivational media - View/listen to motivational music, videos, read, etc.

> If you are a spiritual or religious person, pray:  Practice what you've learned in this aspect of your life.

> Plan a (safe, non addictive) reward for later  - "If I make it through the day then tonight I'll have a nice bowl of ice cream in front on the couch in front of a good movie" 

> Finally, remember the old fail-safe to get yourself to start  even if just a little and give yourself an "out" if you need it:

    • "I'll go to they gym to work out for 10 minutes then if I still don't feel like it I will go home" "

    • "I don't want paint the bedroom today like I planned to, but I'll paint for 30 minutes and if I want to quit at that point I will"

(Then the point is to hopefully keep going once you start... but even if you don't: At least you tried and you are better prepared to keep trying tomorrow)


What else can you think of to help you get up and get going when you are stuck?







No comments:

Post a Comment