Saturday, November 12, 2022

Incoming Text Icebreaker


Introduction: This is an activity to get the group sharing and talking openly. Some of these questions can also bring out various feelings about personal life situations. The counselor/group leader should selectively use the two lists in any order. The first list is the "Sender" list and the second list is the “Incoming Text” list. The group members should take turns with the counselor selecting an incoming text and a sender from the two lists. The counselor should mix and match using the two lists to try to come up with a scenario that suits the person whose turn it is. (For example, try not to choose the sender to be a child if the person sharing does not have children or choose “boss” for someone who is not working)

The counselor should read aloud the selected incoming text and sender, for example: “You receive a text from your younger sister (Sender) saying “I need you ASAP- right now!” (Incoming Text)

The person who is taking their turn should describe to the group the following in response to the text (as if it were actually happening)


  • Thoughts – What thoughts are going through your mind? (What do you suspect is going on?)

  • Feelings – What feelings are you experiencing

  • Behavior – What do you think you will do in this situation? (Just to keep things simple, assume that the sender stops answering any follow up texts or calls after this initial text)


LIST 1 – Sender – (Keep in mind, you can also make up your own senders to make it more interesting)

Boss

Relationship Partner

Best Friend

Friend’s relationship partner

Oldest Daughter

Oldest Son

Youngest Daughter

Youngest Son

Spouse

Your most recent ex

Neighbor

Coworker you like

Coworker you don’t like

Mother

Father

Older sibling

Younger sibling

Doctor

Aunt

Uncle

Grandmother

Grandfather

Your Boss’s Boss

Mechanic

Your first kiss

Someone from this group

Childhood friend you liked

Childhood friend you didn’t like

OTHER? Make up your own…




LIST 2 – Incoming Texts

[You are out] “Someone will be at the house when you get home tonight, I can’t tell you any more right now, but I just wanted to let you know”

“I won two free tickets to your favorite band in concert tonight, need to know right now if you will go with me”

“I have a sensitive question to ask you later, can’t talk now”

“I will be asking you for a favor when I see you later tonight”

“I need you ASAP! – right now!”

“You let me down”

“Things will never be the same between you and me”

“I finally did it!”

“We good?”

“Turn on the TV I’m on the news”

“I have something to confess”

“I’m at the police station (and they name the town or city)”

“I have something I need to tell you meet me (then they provide location and time)”

“You’re the best”

“I have someone I want you to meet”

“I haven’t forgotten what you did”

“I left something for you on your doorstep”

“Hey, do you want to make some money?”

“I’ve got some bad news”

“I’ve got some good news”

“Can you help me move?”

“I need money”

“I am in the middle of a pregnancy scare”

“Can I stay with you for a few days”

“I need you to know I have an STD”

“I need to leave town right away”

“I can’t do this any longer”

“It finally worked out for me!”

“There’s something you and I need to work out”

OTHER? Make up your own…



Follow up thoughts and questions for when activity is complete (Optional)

 

Communication – Why is it important for you to keep open lines of communication with others?

 

 

Choice of association – How do you manage whom you associate with in order to avoid chaos in your life?

 

 

Family – Do you find your family to overall be more supportive or dysfunctional? (How do you cope?)

 

 

Assumptions – When you have limited information, how do you cope without overreacting?

 

 

Recovery – If you are in recovery, how does this improve your ability to handle sudden situations?

 

 

Thinking – When you are in a situation where you have to wait, how do you cope with anxious thoughts?

 

 

Feeling – What helps you manage your feelings when something (like a strange text) triggers you?

 

 

Behavior – How do you prevent yourself from saying something you’ll regret in a text message reply?

 

 

Stability – Some things happen no matter what, however what are you doing today to increase stability?

 

 

  • Ø What else can you do to further increase stability and progress in your life going forward?



 CLICK HERE FOR PRINTABLE VERSION




 

No comments:

Post a Comment