Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Who Cares

Let’s start this on a positive note. Caring is a good thing. If you care about something or someone, then you are more inclined to do the next good thing. It is good to care about yourself, other people, and the world you live in. When everyone stops caring people can become self-centered and even mean. Please don’t get confused and think that the message here is telling you to just stop caring. Keep on caring about making things better. Keep on caring about self-improvement, growth and recovery. Keep on caring about doing what you can to make your world a better place for yourself and for those around you. Care about the good things in life. Keep on caring about being the best person you can be.

Still, as important as it is to care, successful and healthy people also know when those moments in life arise when it is appropriate not to care. There is a filter that everyone needs to develop in their minds that acts like a “shut off valve” and tells your brain when it is the right time to just say “Who cares?” – Consider some examples:

“People are gossiping about me behind my back about stuff that just isn’t true” – Who cares


“My car is the oldest looking one in the parking lot at my job” – Who cares

“Everyone else is pressuring me to go out and get wasted tonight but I have to stay home and do this assignment so I can get an A in my college class” – Who cares (about them)

“I’ve tried to be nice and fit in with these people around me but they just don’t to seem to want to accept me for who I am” – Who cares

“Why is it that there are so many people getting high out there and getting away with it but I can’t” – Who cares (about them right now)

Under the right circumstances, knowing when to just say “Who cares” then refocus and move on with your life can be a much needed coping skill

Group Discussion:

Caring: What are some things that are worth it in your life to care about? (There should be plenty, come up with as many as you can think of)


Learning when to say “Who cares?” – What is one life area or example for you personally, that you may need to learn to practice saying “I just don’t care - I am just going to focus on doing what’s right” – Be honest







No comments:

Post a Comment